How to celebrate the Year of St. Joseph
“Inspired by the Gospel, the Fathers of the Church from the earliest centuries stressed that just as St. Joseph took loving care of Mary and gladly dedicated himself to Jesus Christ’s upbringing, he likewise watches over and protects Christ’s Mystical Body, that is, the Church.” POPE ST. JOHN PAUL II
How to Celebrate the Year of St. Joseph
As we devote an entire year to St. Joseph’s honor, we will undoubtedly unlock many special graces not only for St. Mary of Lourdes, but for each of the faithful who increase their devotion to him during this special year. There is no greater model than St. Joseph from whom we can learn how to live virtuously in imitation of Jesus and Mary.
“Devotion to St. Joseph is one of the choicest graces that God can give to a soul, for it is tantamount to revealing the entire treasury of our Lord’s graces,” wrote St. Peter Julian Eymard, “When God wishes to raise a soul to greater heights, he unites it to St. Joseph by giving it a strong love for the good saint.”
Below are ideas for how to celebrate the Year of St. Joseph:
- Begin the Year of St. Joseph with a special intention for his intercession, for which you will offer your prayers and St. Joseph devotions throughout the year.
- Learn about St. Joseph’s virtues and try to imitate them
- Participate in the 33-day consecration to St. Joseph
- Pray the Holy Rosary daily, reciting the Year of St. Joseph prayer at the conclusion
- Plan a pilgrimage to one or more of the St. Joseph parishes across the diocese
- Adopt St. Joseph traditions into your prayer life and family life
- Attend Mass on his feast days: March 19th and May 1st
- Include prayers to St. Joseph in your morning and evening prayers
- Encourage others to foster as greater devotion to St. Joseph